AESTHETICS get SYNTHETIC
Frist: Dienstag, 31. Januar 2017
Synthetic biology is a thriving field at the interface between molecular and cell biology and engineering disciplines. It is predominantly based on design, construction and analysis of new functions and unprecedented biological systems while it also allows a better understanding of existing biological phenomena by means of its synthetic “reconstruction”. AESTHETICS get SYNTHETIC: Knowledge Link through Art and Science (KLAS) main goal is to initiate collaborative artistic and scientific exchange to foster transdisciplinary dialogues as well as to contribute to a wider understanding and appreciation of synthetic biology.
The knowledge link established during the residency period intends to influence both the work of the participant research groups and the resident artists. This bidirectional feedback is expected to provide a highly fertile ground for a dialogue that should also attract the attention of non-specialized audiences much more easily than purely scientific orientated discourses.
Artists interested in exploring the aesthetic and discursive possibilities that are derived from the connections between innovative creative practices, new materialistic approaches and synthetic biology research are invited to submit an application.
This competition is open for artists to propose all kind of innovative concepts and ideas in the field of visual art, interactive art, digital music/sound art, sculptural art, hybrid art, performance & choreography, architecture and photography.
This call is open to artists internationally to apply for a residency program at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces and the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, both located in Golm (DE) as well as the Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute of the University of Groningen (NL).
- An opportunity for mutual exchange with scientists and other researchers.
- € 7.500,00 award money for each selected artist.
- Extra budget of max. € 2.000,00 for production materials per awardee.
- Accommodation and insurance for the periods of stay at the research institutions.
- A return ticket to the locations of the residency (max. 1.000,00€).
- Access to the labs.
- Access to lectures and talks various experts around the world.
- Access to the library and scientific journals.
- The winning artists will have a scientific mentor on the basis of the art project’s focus, to inspire him/her and his/her work.