Yaddo Residency May 2019 – February 2020
Frist: Dienstag, 01. Januar 2019
Yaddo is a retreat for artists located on a 400-acre estate in Saratoga Springs, New York. Its mission is to nurture the creative process by providing an opportunity for artists to work without interruption in a supportive environment.
Yaddo offers residencies to professional creative artists from all nations and backgrounds working in one or more of the following disciplines: choreography, film, literature, musical composition, painting, performance art, photography, printmaking, sculpture, and video. Artists may apply individually or as members of collaborative teams of two or three persons. They are selected by panels of other professional artists without regard to financial means. Residencies last from two weeks to two months and include room, board, and a studio.
Artists who qualify for Yaddo residencies are working at the professional level in their fields. An abiding principle at Yaddo is that applications for residency are judged on the quality of the artist’s work and professional promise. Yaddo accepts approximately 200 artists each year. There are no publication, exhibition, or performance requirements for application.
- Artists enrolled in graduate or undergraduate programs at the time of application are not eligible to apply to Yaddo.
- Artists may apply once every other calendar year. For example, if you applied in 2017 (January or August), you will be eligible to apply again in either January or August of 2019.
Yaddo encourages artists of all backgrounds to apply for admission. Yaddo does not discriminate in its programs and activities against anyone on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, disability, HIV status, or veteran status.
Five admissions panels consider applications to Yaddo in the following disciplines:
- Literature, including fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, translation, and librettos
- Visual Art, including painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, mixed media, and installation art
- Music Composition, including instrumental forms, vocal forms, electronic music, music for film, and sound art
- Performance, including choreography, performance art, multi-media and/or collaborative works incorporating live performance
- Film & Video, including narrative, documentary and experimental films, animation, and screenplays
Applicants may apply to only one admissions panel, and in one genre, at a time.
Yaddo has a strong tradition of internationalism, and welcomes artists working in all disciplines from around the world. Writers who work in languages other than English should supply samples of work in translation as well as in the original. A working knowledge of English is helpful for international artists. Yaddo does not provide an interpreter for artists who speak little or no English.